Welcome to Peter's Sailing Adventures


Back ] Home ] Up ] Next ]

 

Purchase of Redline 25, getting her seaworthy and delivery trip to Wiarton
Two foot-itis was setting in again and it was time to look for a bigger boat. Since I found my last boat in Penetanguishene, what better place to look than to start there. 

I thought I had seen a boat that was the "right" size in a yard up there in my frequent scouting trips to look at boats, marinas, waterways, and just generally exploring the country side. 

Sure enough the boat I had seen out of the corner of my eye on previous trips was still there but it did not seem for sale.  I climbed up into the boat and found water. Water in the cockpit, water in the cabin, water everywhere. 

Went looking for a screwdriver in my toolbox to open up the cockpit drains. They had plugged-up with leaves and dirt and therefore the cockpit had filled with water and when it got high enough it trickled into the cabin.  Next step was to find a a bucket and started bailing the cabin.

By the looks of the boat I was pretty sure that it was a C&C Redline 25.

I had looked at another Redline 25 a couple of years earlier but it was, for me, at that time, to big a boat and $11K seemed like way to much money for a boat. 

I went back a couple of times to look at the Redline and to ask questions as to whom it belonged.  Nobody seemed to know.  I contacted a broker that I had worked with previously and asked him to find out. 

I was amazed when a couple of days later he phoned and  had found the owner.  I bought the boat. 

The boat did not have an outboard, a tiller or a cradle. The cradle it sat on belonged to the yard.  

The vendor had the sails and cushions at his place in London, Ontario so off we went to pick up the sails and the cushions.  The sails were okay and they did for the duration of my ownership of the boat.  To-day I know better.  To increase your sailing enjoyment budget new sails when you buy a used boat. Sailing will just be that much better.  

As the boat had been totally neglected for a number of years the first order of the day was to: clean it, make sure the running lights were working, and that the through-hulls and hoses were sound.

Determined that the through-hull in the galley should not be plastic but bronze. While changing it I put a wrench to it and it shattered. 

It would have been interesting if that old rotten plastic through-hull would have broken in the middle of the lake. 

The topsides gelcoat was a very faded stone gray and after two days of rubbing compound, waxing and cleaning the hull looked semi-decent but it quickly returned to a very faded gray. 

I found an outboard with electric start and a charger so the battery would get charged while the engine was running, a very nice feature to have.  

Made myself a tiller, not pretty, but it was solid and did the job.   The cradle would have to wait or rather I wanted this boat on a trailer so I needed to find a trailer before haul-out.

Drove to London, Ontario to pick up the sails and the cushions.  Almost ready to go. 

I also went out and bought the necessary charts and a new knotmeter.  Had the yard drill out a larger hole in the hull as I am way to chicken to drill holes into hulls. 

Time to launch.  I arranged with the yard to launch her near the end of the day and keep her in the slings to make sure that the boat would stay dry.  After several hours of a dry boat we took off the slings and motored over to the assigned slip for the night.  Next day it was off to Wiarton.

We left Penetanguishene  at 5 A.M. on a nice sunny morning with a bit of a breeze.  I did not have a GPS or Loran so we were going to navigate the old fashioned way.  Plot a course convert to compass course and steer by her and estimate leeway.  

After a couple of hours the weather deteriorated a bit.  Clouds moved in and the breeze freshened.  We were not able to steer the course.  We were off by some 10 to 20 degrees.  I kept on hoping that the wind would change so we could steer our course but if anything we were forced more off course. 

Around noon, getting hungry and I wanting some  lunch I went below and there was water over the floorboard!
Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!

Pumped the water out and realized that on a heel of 25+ degrees on port tack, or was it starboard tack, water would come in.  Never did figure out why.

 Plotting the real compass course on the chart showed that we were heading straight for the Meaford firing range.  As we could see land approaching I looked for the white buoys that mark the range and sure enough there they were. 

We decided to throw on the outboard and see if motor sailing would help us make the new course up the shoreline and into Colpoy's Bay. 

After a while the wind started to co-operate and we could shut the engine off and sail up the coast.  Nice!   

Arrived at the Wiarton Marina at 9 P.M. in the last light of the day.

Pieces of Eight has sailed beautifully and I was pleased.  She is a good sailor, very predictable, a bit tender initially but she stiffens right up.  

In subsequent years I took her to the North Channel and she behaved well.  I would buy another Redline 25 and in fact a friend of mine did buy a Redline on my recommendation.  The CS 22 is similar but only 22 feet and no standing headroom anywhere.


Back ] Home ] Up ] Next ]

Mail me

Copyright by Peter Deppisch, February 2006